IFTTT (which stands for "if this, then that") uses simple applets to connect services and devices from different manufacturers and create new and custom experiences. Through IFTTT, Nexia is able to extend their capabilities across other home automation platforms -- such as Philips hue bulbs, WeMo switches, and Netgear Arlo cameras - and lets subscribers include countless devices and services in their Nexia automations.
Nexia subscribers can use IFTTT to:
- Activate a Hunter Douglas window shade room scene through a Nexia automation
- Launch a Nexia automation when your car is in a certain place and turned off such as setting the home in Away mode when a subscriber is at work;
- Run a Nexia automation when the outdoor temperature rises above a desired level
- Call your cell phone with an automated message when a door is unlocked or a smoke detector goes off;
- Set a GE water heater to a new operating mode with a Nexia automation such as when there’s no motion detected for 30 minutes to indicate the house is empty.
Getting Started with Nexia and IFTTT
Set up your IFTTT account:
- Go to the IFTTT web site: https://ifttt.com.
- Create an IFTTT account if you do not already have one by clicking the “Sign up” button.
- Enter your email address and create a password.
- Once your IFTTT account is created, you can now connect to the IFTTT service by clicking the "Search" button.
- In the search field, enter "Nexia" to find the Nexia service.
- Click the "Nexia" tile under "Services".
- Click the "Connect" button below the Nexia service.
- Enter your Nexia username and password.
Adding IFTTT Triggers or Actions to Your Nexia Automations:
- Login to your Nexia account at mynexia.com after you have configured your IFTTT account.
- You can now create Nexia automations that trigger IFTTT actions, or automations that are triggered by IFTTT, or both. Click on the Nexia “Automations” tab. Note: the IFTTT triggers and actions will not be visible in Nexia until you link your Nexia account to IFTTT (see previous steps).
- Edit an existing automation, or click “Add Automation”.
- To configure a Nexia automation to be triggered by IFTTT (e.g. enable you to create “run my Nexia automation whenever my child arrives at home”), click the “Add Trigger” button in your Nexia automation, and then click “Select a trigger”, choose “3rd-Party Integrations”, and then select “IFTTT”.
- Click “OK” to save your Nexia trigger.
- To configure a Nexia automation to trigger an IFTTT action (e.g. enable you create “Call my phone when my Nexia automation runs”), click the “Add Action” button in your Nexia Automation, select “Select a device”, then select “3rd-party Integrations”, and click “Select a 3rd-party integration, and choose “IFTTT”.
- Click “OK” to save your Nexia action.
- Once you have fully configured your automation, click “Save Changes”.
Create an IFTTT applet:
- Once you have configured your IFTTT account and Nexia automations, you can now configure IFTTT applets to interact with your Nexia automations. For example, let’s configure an applet to send email when your Nexia automation runs.
- Login to your IFTTT account at https://ifttt.com.
- Click on “My Applets".
- Click the “New Applet” button.
- Next click the “this” word in the “If this then that” phrase.
- Enter “Nexia” in the “Choose a service” field.
- Click the “Nexia” tile.
- On the “Choose Trigger” page, select the “Nexia automation runs” trigger.
- Choose the Nexia automation name that you wish to use as a trigger from the pull download under “Which automation?*”.
- Then click the “Create trigger” button to save your selection.
- Next, click the "that" word in the If Then That phrase.
- Enter "Email in the "Chose action service" entry.
- Click on the "Email" tile.
- Click the "Send me an email" tile.
- Update the "Subject" and "Body" entries if desired. Then click "Create action".
- Click the "Finish" button to save your new applet.
- You can now test your applet by manually triggering your Nexia automation from your Nexia app by clicking the “Run Now” button under the “Automations tab”.